Import.io features Transforms which allows users to use functions and formulas to modify the output data of an extractor. You can create transform rules to repeat every time data is extracted, so that you always have clean, current, and optimized data. Transform rules are cell functions and equations that you would use in Excel.
Creating a New Transform
From the Import.io dashboard, navigate to Transforms (1) and select New Transform (2). A dialog will appear for your to choose the extractor you want to transform.
The New/Edit Transform UI
- Save & Run: Saves your transform and runs it with the data extracted from your extractor.
- Extractor Features: The columns and data that is extracted from the selected extractor.
- Column Name: Sets the name for your new transformed column.
- Column Formula: Sets the function and formulas for your new transformed column.
Creating a Transformed Column
The extractor being accessed is grabbing the pricing for Macbook auctions on Ebay. We're going to create a new transformed column that contains the total price for the auction (Current Bid + Shipping).
- Select the Column Name and set it to Total Price.
- Select the Column Formula and search for the =SUM formula.
- We can see that Current Bid and Shipping are columns A and C. We'll set the Column Formula to =SUM(A,C) to add the two values together.
- We can see that there is a rounding error for the Total Price column. We can combine formulas to get the correct data in this column. We're going to use the =ROUND formula to round the value of =SUM(A,C). This is done by setting the Column Formula to =ROUND(SUM(A,C),2) where two is the number of decimal points we want.
- Save & Run your transform to apply the transform to the data from your extractor.
Downloading Your Transform
Click the link to the right of your transform history to download the transformed data.